To the 172 composers who answered my 2012 call for scores and sent me compositions for one flutist, thank you very much! Also, thank you for waiting over 1 year for me to get back to you. I feel terrible that I wasn't able to get through all the scores until now. (I was expecting about 30 submissions so once I got over 70 or so, I could't keep up and sort of put my head in the sand for a while!)
I received many fantastic pieces. Almost all of the 172+ pieces (because many composers sent me more than 1 piece) were really great but I was looking for pieces that will fit certain types of programs and projects I had in mind. Numerous well-written compositions were not selected. Many worthy and excellent composers were not (yet) commissioned - mainly because I do not have the funds! I chose 45 composers/pieces to perform, commission, or record. Some composers I have put on my commission wish-list (for, you know, when I win the lottery...) Some notable outcomes from the call for scores:
- I recorded Jay C. Batzner's "Mercurial" for flute and tape and David E. Farrell's "moonwave" for solo flute on my last album, The Art of Noise.
- My flute and percussion duo (A/B Duo) is commissioning a piece from Andrea La Rose.
- I am commissioning a piece for flute plus effects from Doug Laustsen.
- I am planning a solo flute and electronics tour of the US (6 cities, so far) for February 2015 with some of the pieces I received through this call for scores. I'm very excited about this tour. I am working on finding funding for this right now so I hope it works out. (I may just take this show on tour no matter what! - you know, hitchhike from city to city and wash dishes in any restaurant that'll take me, busk/beg on street corners - until I slowly make it to the next show…)
- I will slowly work in the rest of the pieces I chose into my repertoire and start performing them later this year.
Thank you again composers for writing cool stuff for us performers!
PS. A/B Duo has a call for scores going on right now (accepting scores until March 10, 2014) if you're interested. My percussionist Chris Jones is in charge of this one so I promise it will be run efficiently and on time!